At 7:00 a.m., it was reported that the Los Alamos fire had spread into Santa Clara Canyon. Shortly before 8:00 a.m., Roger Life telephoned. He was home, but would have to go back to Los Alamos to fight the fire tomorrow. The fire fighters will be working 24 hours on and 24 hours off for a while. Of course, it took Roger about 20 minutes to tell me that. At 8:30 a.m., it was reported that the fire had reached the rim of Santa Clara Canyon, but had not gone down into it yet. The fire was also headed towards White Rock and Abiquiu. At 9:15 a.m., I was finally able to connect with my ISP and downloaded the information about which homes in Los Alamos had been destroyed by the fire.

After printing out the report, I drove to Abiquiu Lake and gave the report on burned homes in Los Alamos to Denny & Cherryl Mingo. They had already gotten a copy last night from a friend in Espanola. Mine was just an update. After evacuating their home in Los Alamos, they were staying in their large camper and seemed very comfortable. After visiting for a few hours, I returned home to find a hungry Gato snarling at my (His) front door. He did let me in, then marched to the refrigerator and meowed, "FEED ME RIGHT NOW!"

At 2:05 p.m., KOB 770 radio announced that 36,000 acres and 230 homes had been burned in the Los Alamos fire (Cerro Grande fire). Visitations by residents have been delayed. The communities of Los Alamos and White Rock are no longer threatened by the fire. At 3:04 p.m., they announced that the fire was 5% contained and that Los Alamos was still threatened. Residents would be bussed in to Los Alamos and allowed to take notes and pictures only. No one would be allowed off the busses. This was to begin at 8:00 this morning. (Duh? Nice of them to tell us about that at 3:04 in the afternoon, isn't it?)

At 3:31 p.m., it was reported that the fire was burning to the north, burning to the west, and burning to the southeast of Los Alamos. Helicopters have been going overhead for the last hour. The smoke from the fire looks like the fire is headed toward us. I hope so. There should be no fuel between the fire and this location after the fire last year burned it out. At 3:38 p.m., a heavy plane flew over, probably a slurry bomber. The fire must be getting close. Somebody has been telephoning and either saying, "Hello, hello, hello." or hanging up when they hit the answering machine. Wow! There sure are a lot of those planes going over! Just one after the other. At 4:48 p.m., the sun came peeking through the smoke, so it has diminished a lot. The planes have quit flying over us.

Roger Life telephoned and informed me that I had messed up what I wrote about his schedule. It took Roger 15 minutes to explain that what the fire fighters are going to do is work their normal 24 hour shift, work the next 24 hours, and get the next 24 hours off. Why didn't he just say they were working 48 hours on and 24 hours off? Is it just me or does he make things too complex?